Skip to the content

CFAA 2009 Tameside quarterly report 09b

CFAA 2009 Tameside quarterly report 09b 2009, Tameside.

[img]
Preview
PDF (CFAA 2009 Tameside Quarterly Report) - Published Version
Download (16MB) | Preview

    Summary / Description

    The final report on the archaeological building survey of Whitelands Leather Works, Whitelands, Dukinfield, (centred SJ 9420 9869), has now been produced. The site which was surveyed in 2002-3, was situated to the east of Whitelands road and to the south of the disused Huddersfield Canal. Whitelands works consisted of a four story building with adjoining single story sheds to the east. It appears to have begun life as a purposebuilt leatherworks. Although the buildings were noted on the 1840s OS map there appeared to have been a significant rebuild dating to 1868. During the late 20th century the site was reduced in size with residential buildings constructed to the east and south of the works and this may have been the period when the building was converted to a warehouse. The adjoining sheds were partially demolished in the late 20th century and the works was finally demolished in 2003. This is one of several buildings in the Dukinfield and Audenshaw area which were used for leather processing and finishing. Likely the surviving examples in Audenshaw, it was a purpose-built structure, and as such is a rare industrial building type in the Tameside and Greater Manchester areas, with many features, the roof trusses and narrow width, akin to contemporary mid-19th urban warehouses.

    Item Type: Applied Archaeology collection
    Project name: CFAA 2009 Tameside quarterly report 09b
    Type of work: Landscape Research
    Date work completed: 2009
    Location of work: Tameside
    Period: Industrial
    Depositing User: MD Nevell
    Date Deposited: 17 Aug 2011 09:24
    Last Modified: 20 Aug 2013 18:06
    URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/17251

    Document Downloads

    More statistics for this item...

    Actions (login required)

    Edit record (repository staff only)