CFAA 2009 Gothic Farm cottage report
CFAA 2009 Gothic Farm cottage report 2009, Gothic Farm Cottage.
|PDF (Gothic Farm cottage report) - Published Version |
Download (6MB) | Preview
Summary / Description
Burdett’s map of Cheshire, published in 1777, shows an unnamed building on the present site which can be associated with the farmstead, although no details of the building plan itself are shown. The farm is also shown on the 1842 Ordnance Survey one inch map of the area but the most detailed early mapping is the 1849 tithe map for Romiley (Chester Record Office EDT 341). This shows a large L-shaped range of buildings occupied by Alexander Swindells which were called the ‘Five Houses Homestead’. The long axis of the L-shape was aligned west to east whilst the short axis was aligned north to south and lay at the eastern end of the complex. This probably represented the combined barn, whilst the eastern range appears to have been on the site of the southern half of the current Gothic Lodge-Gothic Cottage complex. The farmstead was owned by John Wright, who also owned most of the other fields and houses at the eastern end of the Romiley township. Later mapping shows a greatly enlarged complex. The 1882 Ordnance Survey six inch map for the area shows an easterly extension, probably the present Gothic Lodge, whilst to the west an extra range had been added at the north-western corner of the barn. The 1892 Ordnance Survey 25 inch mapping for the area shows that to west of the combined barn two open-sided barns had been added, whilst to the east the large square range can be seen to be the current Gothic Lodge structure. The present boundary between the farmhouse and the cottage is first shown on the 1892 map for the first time.
|Item Type:||Applied Archaeology collection|
|Project name:||CFAA 2009 Gothic Farm cottage report|
|Type of work:||Historic Building Recording|
|Date work completed:||2009|
|Location of work:||Gothic Farm Cottage|
|Depositing User:||MD Nevell|
|Date Deposited:||17 Aug 2011 09:33|
|Last Modified:||20 Aug 2013 18:06|
Actions (login required)
|Edit record (repository staff only)|