CFAA 2010 Broughton Lane Salford 2010, Broughton Lane Salford.
PDF (Broughton Lane Salford report)
- Published Version
Download (31MB) | Preview
Summary / Description
This report presents the results of an archaeological building survey of 85 Broughton Lane, Broughton, Salford, Greater Manchester (centred SJ 831 998), known latterly as the Manchester Guardian and Evening News Garages. The site was situated on the southern side of Broughton Lane at its junction with Milton Street. The complex consisted of a two and three storey brick warehouse, a three storey, cellared, office block and a single storey covered yard. Some of the buildings were first noted on the 1908 OS map of the area, when just the multi-storey structure on the western side of the yard was shown. The covered yard area appears to have been added in the 1950s, according to the documentary evidence. The site appears to have been built for the Manchester Guardian and Evening News Ltd as a newspaper depot around 1903. The site functioned as a newspaper depot and garages until 2008.
|Item Type:||Applied Archaeology collection|
|Project name:||CFAA 2010 Broughton Lane Salford|
|Type of work:||Historic Building Recording|
|Date work completed:||December 2010|
|Location of work:||Broughton Lane Salford|
|Depositing User:||Dr Michael Nevell|
|Date Deposited:||18 Aug 2011 08:11|
|Last Modified:||13 Dec 2015 23:38|
Actions (login required)
|Edit record (repository staff only)|