The Cox manuscript
Powell, Susan 2008, 'The Cox manuscript' , Medieval Sermon Studies, 52 , pp. 42-62.
|PDF - Published Version |
Restricted to Repository staff only
Download (454kB) | Request a copy
Although the Birgittine house of Syon Abbey in Middlesex (founded by Henry V in 1415 and dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539) had a reputation for its preaching, it is a surprising fact that almost no Syon sermons survive today. In this context, a volume of sermons in the ownership of Dr Gregory Stevens Cox is of fundamental importance. Previously recorded only briefly, Cox MS 39 is the sole extant Syon manuscript to contain sermons that might have been preached at the Abbey. This article brings the manuscript to scholarly attention, presents an argument for its sermons having been preached at Syon, and offers a suggestion as to why the Syon corpus of preaching sermons appears to have inexplicably vanished.
|Themes:||Memory, Text and Place|
|Schools:||Colleges and Schools > College of Arts & Social Sciences > School of Humanities, Languages & Social Sciences > Centre for English Literature and Language|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Medieval Sermon Studies|
|Depositing User:||Professor Susan Powell|
|Date Deposited:||06 Oct 2011 10:37|
|Last Modified:||20 Aug 2013 18:11|
Document DownloadsMore statistics for this item...
Actions (login required)
|Edit record (repository staff only)|