Skip to the content

Unique family clustering of human echinococcosis cases in a Chinese community

Yang, YR, Ellis, M, Sun, T, Li, Z, Liu, X, Vuitton, DA, Bartholomot, B, Giraudoux, P, Craig, PS, Boufana, B, Wang, Y, Feng, X, Wen, H, Ito, A and McManus, DP 2006, 'Unique family clustering of human echinococcosis cases in a Chinese community' , American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 74 (3) , pp. 487-494.

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

Abstract

We have identified a significant focus and unusual clustering of human cases of cystic echinococcosis (CE) and alveolar echinococcosis (AE) in the village of Nanwan, Xiji County, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, in one of the most highly endemic areas for both diseases in China. The village, a Chinese Hui Islamic community, is composed of 167 members of four extended families. A total of 28 people died (12 of echinococcosis) since the village was first settled in the 1950s. Despite similar life patterns, the number of AE and CE cases occurring in each family was different. Overall, the prevalences of AE and CE were 9% (20 cases) and 5.9% (13 cases), with a combined prevalence of 14.9%. In contrast to CE, a comparison of the prevalence of AE indicated significant differences between the four family clusters. Although suggestive that host genotype might play a role in susceptibility to AE, this hypothesis requires further investigation.

Item Type: Article
Themes: Subjects / Themes > Q Science > Q Science (General)
Subjects / Themes > R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
Health and Wellbeing
Subjects outside of the University Themes
Schools: Colleges and Schools > College of Science & Technology
Colleges and Schools > College of Science & Technology > School of Environment and Life Sciences
Colleges and Schools > College of Science & Technology > School of Environment and Life Sciences > Ecosystems and Environment Research Centre
Journal or Publication Title: American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Publisher: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Refereed: Yes
ISSN: 00029637
Depositing User: H Kenna
Date Deposited: 08 Aug 2007 15:32
Last Modified: 20 Aug 2013 16:45
URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/193

Actions (login required)

Edit record (repository staff only)