Archaeological Excavation Report Land off Stanley Street, Central Salford: Plots B5/6 (New Bailey Prison)

Archaeological Excavation Report Land off Stanley Street, Central Salford: Plots B5/6 (New Bailey Prison) 2015, Salford, Manchester.

[img]
Preview
PDF (Archaeological Excavation Report Land off Stanley Street, Central Salford: Plots B5/6 (New Bailey Prison)) - Published Version
Download (12MB) | Preview

Summary / Description

In January 2015, The Centre for Applied Archaeology, University of Salford (CfAA) was commissioned by Phil Mayall (Muse Developments, acting on behalf of English Cities Fund) to undertake an archaeological excavation on land located off Stanley Street, Central Salford (centred on SJ 83109 98334), as part of a scheme known as Central Salford Regeneration. A programme of archaeological works has already been carried out within the area by the Centre including an archaeological Desk-Based Assessment (Nash 2013), watching briefs, evaluations and excavation (Reader 2013a; 2014a; b; c). This revealed the well preserved and substantial remains of New Bailey prison, which was in operation between 1790 and 1868. This was at one stage one of the largest prisons in the country and excavations so far have revealed the remains of the Male Felon area, Female wings, treadwheels and Cook House. After the prison closed, a railway goods yard was constructed on site which has also been documented archaeologically.

Item Type: Applied Archaeology collection
Project name: Archaeological Excavation Report Land off Stanley Street, Central Salford: Plots B5/6 (New Bailey Prison)
Type of work: Excavation
Date work completed: 2015
Location of work: Salford, Manchester
Period: Post-Medieval
Depositing User: Kirsty Whittall
Date Deposited: 05 Oct 2017 14:44
Last Modified: 05 Oct 2017 14:44
URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/43925

Actions (login required)

Edit record (repository staff only) Edit record (repository staff only)

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year