Archaeological evaluation report : Exchange Court, Greengate, Salford

Burns, ML 2016, Archaeological evaluation report : Exchange Court, Greengate, Salford , Technical Report, University of Salford.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
Download (14MB) | Preview
Access Information: Link above relates to the data gathered during the production of the report.

Abstract

In April 2016, Salford Archaeology, within the Centre for Applied Archaeology at the University of Salford, was commissioned by Renaker Build Ltd to carry out an archaeological evaluation of a plot of land currently used as a car park, situated between Greengate and Trinity Way in Salford city centre (centred on NGR 383553 399050). The work was carried out to inform the planning process for the proposed development of Exchange Court, and were intended to determine the presence, extent, depth, state of preservation and significance of the archaeological resource to enable informed recommendations to be made for the future treatment of any surviving remains, in line with the guidance provided by the National Planning Policy Framework.
The evaluation comprised the excavation of eight trial trenches, and revealed archaeological remains dating to the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The remains appeared to relate to the former industrial use of the site variously as textile-finishing works, a hat manufactory and a later rubber works, although there was no surviving physical evidence for any medieval activity or the buildings shown on eighteenth-century mapping to have occupied the Greengate street frontage. Historical mapping suggests that these structures were domestic houses and shops, together with a hat manufactory in the eastern corner of the site. By 1850, the footprint of the buildings along the Greengate frontage remained largely unchanged, but the hat manufactory had expanded to occupy a much larger area, which essentially remained unchanged until at least 1908. By 1922, this building had been subsumed by a rubber works, which expanded to occupy the entire site.
The evaluation revealed archaeological remains which confirmed and expanded on historical research and mapping. By comparing the results of the excavations with historical mapping it was possible to identify three phases of development dating from the late eighteenth century through to the early twentieth century, together with four structures relating to the hat manufactory and rubber works.
Following consultation with the Greater Manchester Archaeological Advisory Service, in their capacity as archaeological advisors to Salford City Council, it is concluded from the results obtained from the evaluation that whilst buried archaeological remains do survive, these are of a fragmentary nature. As such, further archaeological investigation in advance of development is not merited.

Item Type: Monograph (Technical Report)
Schools: Schools > School of the Built Environment
Publisher: University of Salford
Depositing User: USIR Admin
Date Deposited: 15 Jan 2020 11:45
Last Modified: 16 Jan 2020 12:13
URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/56223

Actions (login required)

Edit record (repository staff only) Edit record (repository staff only)

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year