Archaeological excavation : site of Collyhurst Old Hall

Whittall, K ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8792-9343 2016, Archaeological excavation : site of Collyhurst Old Hall , Technical Report, University of Salford.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
Download (3MB) | Preview
Access Information: Link above directs to data gathered during the creation of the report.

Abstract

Salford Archaeology (SA) was commissioned by the Manchester Communications academy to undertake a community archaeological excavation on Collyhurst playing fields, Collyhurst, Manchester. The purpose of the excavation was to uncover, record and interpret the possibility of remains of Collyhurst Old Hall. This work included mapping and assessing the extent, function, phasing and relative significance of the buried remains. The aim of the works was to raise awareness of and engage the community in the discovery and preservation of their local heritage.
The Collyhurst Old Hall study area is located on the corner of Rochdale Road and Collyhurst Street. The history of Collyhurst Old Hall is remarkably sporadic, however, there was a hall recorded on the site from at least 1649 along with several outbuildings, extensive gardens and a watercourse. The Ryder Estate Map of 1830 suggests a later Georgian-style Hall was built over Collyhurst Old Hall. By the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1848 this building had been demolished and by the end of the 19th century the site was occupied by several rows of back to back houses which included Collyhurst Street, Laverack Street and Ryder Street along with St James C of E Primary School on Teignmouth Street. These structures were demolished before 1970 and the site has remained vacant since, serving as playing fields for the Collyhurst Nursery School and Children’s Centre adjacent to the site.
The community excavation took place in July 2015 and involved the opening of four evaluation trenches within the south east part of the playing fields at Collyhurst. The trench location was informed by a test pit evaluation which had occurred during March 2015. The trenches revealed the remains of the later phases of occupation of the site, particularly the remains of St James C of E Primary School, and back to back housing of Collyhurst Street, Ryder Street and Laverick Street. The excavation provided an opportunity to compare the physical remains of St James Primary School, Collyhurst St, Laverick St and Ryder St, with the 1966 mapping. Furthermore, the excavation gave a clear indication of the use of this land since the demolition of these features.

Item Type: Monograph (Technical Report)
Schools: Schools > School of the Built Environment
Publisher: University of Salford
Depositing User: USIR Admin
Date Deposited: 15 Jan 2020 13:21
Last Modified: 16 Jan 2020 12:13
URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/56225

Actions (login required)

Edit record (repository staff only) Edit record (repository staff only)

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year