Archaeological evaluation : Victoria Mill, Droylsden, Tameside

Cattell, SJ 2018, Archaeological evaluation : Victoria Mill, Droylsden, Tameside , Project Report, University of Salford, Salford.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
Download (9MB) | Preview
Access Information: Link above is to research outputs and data for this project

Abstract

In March 2017, Salford Archaeology (SA) was commissioned by the De Trafford Estates Group to undertake an archaeological evaluation on land surrounding the former Victoria Mill on Buckley Street, Droylsden (centred on SJ 90061 98064). The programme of archaeological evaluation was intended to comprise the excavation of three trenches, aimed to establish the presence, extent and significance of any buried archaeological remains on the site, and was required to satisfy a condition that was attached by Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council to planning consent for a proposed development (Planning Ref: 15/00030/OUT). Victoria Mill was built in 1845 by Edmund Buckley for Henry Lees & Brothers of Manchester who specialised in the production of heavy cotton cloth. The mill originally consisted of three ranges with a private canal arm to the south, but was extended throughout the 19th and 20th centuries to include additional buildings abutting the main mill structure, a chimney stack and associated buildings to the south and a row of workers’ housing to the north. Although cotton production ceased in 1932, the mill was reopened after the war and repurposed for the manufacture of other materials before being split in the later 20 th century to accommodate a number of smaller businesses. The three evaluation trenches were located to target the remains of the chimney stack, and extension to the main mill block to the south, and the footprint of a row of workers’ housing that lies along the northern boundary of the site. Due to the land remaining in use as part of a garage, however, the area that was to be investigated by Trench 1 (the site of the mill chimney) was not available for excavation. The other two trenches were excavated in June 2017. The trenches revealed that there was reasonable survival of the 19 th - and 20 th -century remains across the site. These remains were exposed at a depth of between 0.30m and 2.00m below the modern ground surface, and comprised hand-made brick features associated with the row of workers’ housing fronting onto Manchester Road, and brick and concrete structures relating to the southern extension of the mill, demolished in the 1980s. Based on the results obtained from the evaluation, it is concluded that the structural remains exposed in the excavated trenches are not of sufficient archaeological interest to merit any further investigation.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Contributors: Miller, IF (Editor) and Ker, RM (Illustrator)
Schools: Schools > School of Environment and Life Sciences
Publisher: University of Salford
Depositing User: USIR Admin
Date Deposited: 18 Feb 2020 12:11
Last Modified: 18 Feb 2020 12:15
URI: http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/56464

Actions (login required)

Edit record (repository staff only) Edit record (repository staff only)

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year